Describe the potential impact of differences in family values, language and customs
1. Early Intervention Research Paper (100 points)
The purpose of the Early Intervention Research Paper is to permit each student to review recent literature to develop a knowledge base in special education and early intervention that provides a substantive foundation for subsequent courses in the licensure program. Each of the sections should appear as a distinct part of your paper with headings for each section.
Introduction: Begin with a clear and relevant discussion related to the content included in the paper. This should grab the reader’s attention
Foundation of Special Education/Early Intervention:
· briefly provide an overview of special education as an intervention (preventative, remedial, compensatory) that includes early approaches to providing services to children with disabilities. Identify features of early intervention that are theoretically or philosophically different from general special education
· identify the salient features of early intervention (individually planned, specialized, intensive, goal directed, family driven etc). Identify components that were linked to general special education and features that were designed to meet the needs of infants and young children with special needs
· provide a narrative discussing the time line of special education law and highlight legislation related to providing services to young children with disabilities. What prompted the change to include early intervention services?
· Identify issues related to the definitions and identification of infants and young children including those from culturally and diverse backgrounds
· Looking at contemporary history of special education service for children K-12 identify the differences in meeting the needs of young children with exceptional needs. Include a discussion of the following principles: due process, FERPA, screening, referral, eligibility and continuum of services. Consider how these have evolved from the original Education of Handicapped Children Act to IDEA.
Role of the family:
· Provide an overview of role families play in the education system, specifically how families have impacted the development of special education practices
· Identify specific factors educators need to be aware of when working with families of young children
· Discuss the impact of the dominant culture and how culture shapes the schools
· Describe the potential impact of differences in family values, language and customs
· Identify intervention approaches that are the outcome of evidence based scientific research. What trends are identified in early childhood special education?
· What learning environments are appropriate for infants and young children? How does the learning environment for infant young child look different from a K-12 child?
Philosophy: Articulate your personal philosophy of special education.
· What do you believe is the purpose of special education?
· What do you believe are the roles and responsibilities of a special educator?
· What knowledge and skills does a special educator need to be effective?
· How might personal biases effect teaching?
· What is the importance of family partnerships?
· What educational philosophy do you consider yourself aligned with?
· What is the future role of special education?