Hydraulic fracturing of shale to produce natural gas
Hydraulic fracturing of shale to produce natural gas
Read through the list of research topics (located in the Appendix) on which to write a research paper.
Select three (3) topics that interest you most and identify two (2) credible sources for each topic.
Note:This is one of several parts that will build toward a final draft of your persuasive writing research paper.
Write a one to two (1-2) page paper in which you:
1. Explain the reason for selecting topic one, identify the audience, and provide a preliminary thesis statement.
2. Explain the reason for selecting topic two, identify the audience, and provide a preliminary thesis statement.
3. Explain the reason for selecting topic three, identify the audience, and provide a preliminary thesis statement.
4. Identify and document six (6) credible sources (two (2) for each topic) that you would expect to use.
Your assignment must follow these formatting guidelines:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’sname, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Recognize the elements and correct use of a thesis statement.
• Associate the features of audience, purpose, and text with various genres.
• Recognize correct APA documentation and reasons to document and avoid plagiarism.
• Write clearly and concisely about selected topics using proper writing mechanics.
• Use technology and information resources to research selected issues for this course.
Some topics focus on the entire county; however, other topics may focus on states, local areas, and / or businesses.
1) Should regulations be changed regarding the hydraulic fracturing of shale to produce natural gas?
2) Should taxes on people making over $250,000 a year be changed?
3) Should affirmative action laws be changed?
4) Should Transportation Security (TSA) regulations be changed?
5) Should regulations for stem cell research and use be changed?
6) Should regulations for home schools be changed?
7) Should funding for the U.S. space program be changed?
8) Should changes be made to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)?
9) Should changes be made to the regulations for foods that are served in public schools?
10) Should changes be made to regulations for mental health drugs for minors?
11) Should regulations be changed regarding genetically altering plants and/or animals?
12) Should the Family and Medical Leave Act be changed?
13) Should changes be made to the U.S. immigration policy?
14) Should taxes on alcohol and tobacco be increased to help pay for rising medical costs?
15) Should regulations regarding the use of cell phones while driving be standardized?
16) Should recycling regulations be standardized across all regions and states?
17) Should the U.S. develop more energy sources such as ENG 215
18) Should the instant replay used in the NFL be applied to other sports?
19) Should regulations regarding payment of college athletes be changed?
20) Should minors who commit violent crimes be tried as adults?
21) Should regulations regarding public employee unions’ right to strike be changed?
22) Should child welfare regulations be changed?
23) Should changes be made to the No Child Left Behind Act?
24) Should English be made the official language of the United States?
25) Should DUI (driving under the influence) laws be changed?
26) Should the U.S. build more nuclear power plants for an energy source?
27) Should employers with 401K plans for employees be required to have an “opt out” policy rather than an “opt in” policy?
28) Should sex offender registration laws be changed?
29) Should laws governing student laws be changed?
30) Should laws governing credit card companies be changed?
31) Should laws governing nursing homes be changed?
32) Should children of parents who do not allow them to be vaccinated be allowed to attend public school?
33) Should unemployment regulations and benefits be changed?
34) Should rules requiring all members of a jury to agree for conviction be changed?
35) Should financial incentives be offered to high school students to perform well on standardized tests?
36) Should the government offer tax credits for the purchase of hybrid or alternative energy vehicles?
37) Should the U.S. Government prohibit companies from outsourcing jobs to people in foreign countries that do not have unions and / or fair labor laws?
38) Should the U.S. government provide financial assistance to people whose retirement funds were invested in the stock of companies that may have used unethical accounting practices (e.g., Enron, Arthur Andersen, ENG 215 – Appendices
39) Should citizens be permitted to carry a concealed weapon to their workplace (e.g., office, school, construction site)?
40) Should the U.S. Tax Social Security income ceilings for contributions be raised?
41) Should colleges and universities expel students who are caught cheating on exams and / or plagiarizing their homework assignments?
42) Should the U.S. prohibit trade with countries that have poor records on human rights?
43) Should vehicles (cars, trucks, vans, SUVs) be requiredto have backup cameras?
44) Should the states be allowed to determine the dates of their primary elections?
45) Should tax vouchers be provided to parents who send their children to private schools?
46) Should banks be allowed to charge fees for using Debit cards?
47) Should the U.S. require all S.S. recipients to have their checks delivered to a bank account rather than by mail?
48) Should all U.S. students be required to take three years of foreign language in high school?
49) Should the state and / or federal government provide subsidies to organic farmers?
50) Should the U.S. eliminate farm subsidies?
51) Should all states require motorcyclists and passengers to wear helmets?
52) Should non-instructional services (e.g., food service, janitorial service) be provided by contract services rather than by school employees?
53) Should state and local governments provide health insurance only for retirees who have served 20 years in government service?
54) Should your state or local government enact different laws regarding certain animals (e.g., pit bulls)?
55) Should the federal government require mandatory service of all citizens between the ages of 18 and 35?