This assignment focuses on the tenet of conscious leadership, the importance of self-assessment, and reflection. Self-awareness is essential for developing management and leadership skills. Recognizing your own strengths, weaknesses, and values, and understanding emotional intelligence and learning styles can help you to be a more effective leader. Becoming self-aware is an ongoing process requiring introspection. The more often people practice self-reflection, the more opportunities they have to understand their own behaviors and adapt their approaches to working with other people, which can improve both your own and other’s abilities to meet their professional goals.
For this assignment, you have the opportunity to take a variety of self-assessments to learn more about yourself and identify your assets and weaknesses as a leader. This will assist you in discovering how you can improve your own self-leadership skills. You will be asked to think critically about your results and submit a reflection as directed below. As a starting point, review the resources on conscious capitalism at: http://www.consciouscapitalism.org/. There are several helpful resources, including white papers and speech transcripts, available under the Content tab on the main page of this site. Conduct additional research beyond this website on the principle of conscious leadership.
Refer to the “Self-Assessment Links” resource in Topic Materials and complete each test. Be sure to document the results of each assessment to assist you in completing the reflection portion of the assignment below.
After completing the self-assessments, write a 1,000-1,250 word reflection in which you discuss the following:
1. Explain the characteristics of conscious leadership as defined by Mackey and Sisodia and compare them to the primary characteristics of two or three other leadership theories you have studied.
2. Describe the importance of self-awareness, self-concept, and emotional intelligence and the role they play in enabling effective conscious leadership.
3. Briefly summarize the results of each test you completed. In general, do you believe the results represent who you are as a leader? How will the results inspire you to be a conscious leader? Explain.
4. What insights have you gained about yourself after taking the assessments? How could this knowledge influence your values, attitude towards others, and how you approach new tasks in the workplace?
5. Explain the significance of the self-assessment results in relation to your individual behavior, your behavior within groups, and within organizations. What have you learned about your ability to manage others within the workplace? What have you learned about what it takes to manage yourself or how you respond to the management tactics of others within the workplace?
Include at least four academic references for this assignment to support your analysis and reflection.
SELF ASSESMENT LINKS:
1. Learning Styles Assessments: The VARK Questionnaire: How Do I Learn Best? http://vark-learn.com/the-vark-questionnaire/
2. Values Assessment: Rokeach Values Survey: http://www.wec.ufl.edu/faculty/jacobsons/wis6525/rokeach_value_survey%20personal%20responses.pdf
3. Diversity Assessment: Cultural Competence Self-Test:
The reflection explains the characteristics of conscious leadership as defined by Mackey and Sisodia and compares them to the primary characteristics of two or three other leadership theories studied in the course.
The reflection describes the importance of self-awareness, self-concept, and emotional intelligence and the role they play in enabling effective conscious leadership.
The reflection briefly summarizes the results from each assessment and explains whether or not the results accurately reflect the student’s self-perception.
The reflection discusses insights gained from completion of the assessments and explains how those insights could influence the student’s values, attitude towards others, and how he/she might approach new tasks in the workplace.
The reflection discusses the significance of the self-assessment results in relation to the student’s individual behavior, behavior within groups, and behavior within organizations. It also identifies what the student has learned about his/her ability to manage self and others within the workplace.
Reflection is prepared according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
Mechanics of Writing:
· Student is clearly in control of standard, written American English.
· All work includes correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
Language Use and Audience Awareness:
· Student uses correct sentence construction, word choice, etc.
· Student uses language in a manner that is appropriate to the purpose, discipline, and scope of the assignment.