CIS 554 Assignment
Assignment 2: Implementing Software Development Project Management Best Practices
Imagine you are an advisory board member for a Fortune 500 organization, representing the Information Technology Division. Your organization is looking forward to expanding its mobile software development platform and optimizing software project management practices. Specific organizational goals include minimizing software development costs and improving the reliability of mobile applications. As a member, you are asked to qualify methodologies and recommend best practices for optimizing software development.
Research frameworks that may be used for meeting the organization’s goals and consider best practices for software project management strategies for this project.
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
1. Describe how the development-process framework provides opportunities for streamlining software development, increasing quality, and minimizing risk. Explain the distinct focus areas that exist within system engineering and software development. Note: Refer to Figure 2.1B in Chapter 2 of the textbook for information on process frameworks for developing software-intensive systems.
2. Compare and contrast at least two (2) traditional software development process models with respect to iterative-development process models. Provide details on the various benefits and challenges that each method offers for an aggressive mobile development strategy.
3. Determine at least three (3) risks that may occur if the requirements engineering process is not properly followed. Speculate on how failing to perform these processes may lead to project failure. Include examples to support your answer.
4. Develop a software project management plan for the organization described within the scenario above. Describe the minimum level of detail that should be included within each section of the plan. Note: Refer to Table 4.4A in Chapter 4 of the textbook for information on templates for a software project Determine how each component of the software project management plan facilitates and ensures that the project team members have adequate direction for a software development project. Include at least two (2) scenarios that may occur if a project is improperly planned.
5. Recommend at least three (3) best practices for software project management strategies for this project.
6. Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Explain the use of process frameworks for developing technology-based systems.
• Compare and contrast traditional with iterative software development process models.
• Compare and contrast the frameworks, standards, and guidelines for software development process models.
• Explain the planning process for software projects.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in IT Project Leadership Strategies.
• Write clearly and concisely about topics related to IT Project Leadership Strategies using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.