Please answer all the questions (1-8)!
- Miles Davis’ “Bitches Brew” is one of jazz’s first fusion recordings. You have heard an excerpt of “Spanish Key” and you have studied and listened to a lot of “traditional” jazz up until now. What similarities can you list comparing this to “traditional” jazz and what is different?
- Did you enjoy this piece of music? Explain your reasons.
- What instrument does Mahavishnu John McLaughlin play?
- What about McLaughlin’s approach as compared to Miles’ made him influential in the development of the fusion style?
- Who formed the band Return to Forever and what instrument does that person play?
- What veteran saxophonist of the famous Miles Davis “Second Quintet” played in the fusion band Weather Report?
- Who was the very influential electric bassist for Weather Report mentioned in the reading?
- Herbie Hancock had a very popular, groundbreaking fusion album from 1974. What was the name of the album and what instrument does Herbie Hancock play?